The hardest part of ranking a blog is to get relevant backlinks from highly regarded sites by google unless you have deep pockets. Fortunately for us you can rank some low competition, high traffic keywords by using web 2.0 properties to create backlinks.
I am actually in the process of running an experiment to prove to you that you don’t need to spend big money to rank your site. You can rank your site for low competition keywords by spending less than $20 to acquire some web 2.0 blogs.
I will update you on the progress of this experiment in the next few weeks.
The Plan: How I Plan To Achieve My Goal of Ranking This Post in Google.
- I will show you how you can get some super easy low competition keywords that you can easily rank for by your using your web 2.0 backlinks.
- I will show you how I have optimised this post to rank higher in google.
- I will show you how to use high page authority expired web 2.0 blogs to rank it.
- I will show you how to have the backlinks you create indexed fast in google.
The reason I am using expired web 2.0 properties is because they already have backlinks and some page authority that will give your post some precious link juice.
You can also register fresh web 2.0 properties but you will need to create backlinks for them too to get powerful backlinks from them to your money site.
My goal is to get web 2.0 properties that have at least 10 backlinks and have a page authority of at least 30. You can get these properties from here. You can get some high page authority web 2.0 properties for as cheap as $1 here.
Once you purchase the properties you can confirm the number and quality of backlinks by using the free version of majestic.com site explorer. This can help you to avoid properties that have backlinks from dodgy sites.
The use of expired web 2.0 sites is the cheapest way to rank any site especially for low competition keywords. For high competition keywords you may have to use other means that will cost you more money.
I personally believe that any new blogger needs to focus on low competition keywords first and as your audience grows you will start getting natural backlinks that will help you to rank higher for high competition keywords.
Patience is the key when you are just starting out to avoid disappointments. In fact if you focus on identifying low competition keywords you will find that you may hit your goal of full time income from blogging much quicker.
How To Find Low Competition Keywords.
As I have said before this post is targeted for those not with deep pockets and therefore the tools that I will suggest are mostly free but with some limitations.
In the case of finding low competition keywords, I would suggest using keywordrevealer.com. This is a wonderful tool to use in identifying the your keywords and difficulty of ranking those keywords.
The free version allows you to do seven keyword analyses each day. This is for me enough for any budget blogger.
To identify keywords you need to select the “keyword tool” on this site and enter your seed keywords and hit the submit button once.
You will then be given a list of suggested keywords around your seed keyword. Once you will review this list you can pick your choice keyword and hit the “evaluate” button.
The evaluate button will let you know the difficulty of ranking for a particular keyword plus the top ten results in google for the chosen location.
The difficulty is from 0-100. Since our target is to rank for low competition keywords our focus is for keywords between 0-30. Anything above 30 will be very difficult to rank even though achievable with web 2.0 properties.
The next step in this journey is to optimise your content.
On Page Search Engine Optimisation To Rank Higher In Google
All SEO experts worth their salt agree that on page optimisation is a significant ranking factor for google. You can ignore this at your peril.
In our case we have the results of the way the top ten search results are fairing on important ranking features and will have to use this to our advantage.
To optimise our post will need to do the following:
- We need to make sure that our targeted keyword are in the title. This is a critical factor to rank higher.
- We should also make sure that our main title is in h1 which is now automatic when using wordpress.
- We should also make sure that our targeted keyword is the focus of our content. This means that the keyword should at least appear in the opening paragraph, within the body of the post and in the last paragraph where possible. However we need to remember that excessive keyword use can attract a google penalty. Our target is for a keyword density in our post to be less than 1%. Keyword density should not affect readability.
- Make sure that the content has at least 1500 words. The time for short content articles is now gone. Majority of the sites ranking higher have long content nowadays and we cannot afford to do otherwise. This is however not a must but must be seriously considered.
- To make your site credible in the eyes of google you need to make sure that there is at least one outbound link to some authority site within your niche. Authority sites include online newspapers, wikipedia etc. This shows google that you are at least hanging out with the respected sites.
- You will also need to do some interlinking with old posts where possible. This will help your posts to pass on link juice to each other.
How To Build Web 2.0 Backlinks
The key as explained earlier is to get backlinks from high page authority sites, in our case PA of 30+. You can get expired web 2.0 sites for free by scraping them yourself or you can get them on the cheap from sites such as seoclerks.com
I would suggest that you use a mix of various web 2.0 sites e.g blogspot, weebly, tumblr etc. You are safer that way as your account is at the mercy of the owners who can delete for minor infringements sometimes. It is therefore common sense when using free properties to spread your risk.
10 web 2.0 backlinks should be enough to rank most low competition keywords when your site is properly optimised. If your site is new you may have to do the backlinking process slowly. Some experts suggest no more than 3 backlinks a day in the first month or two.
For tumblr you can put your links in the description page that should contain at least 200 words. Tumblr is not meant for some long content. One backlink per post should suffice in tumblr to avoid being judged as unnatural by google.
For the other web 2.0 properties at least 500 word articles should suffice.
On top of this you need to have some social signals which google is now valuing.
Results of My Experiment on Use of Web 2.0 Backlinks
I will update you on my progress in ranking this post at least once a week.